Monday, June 11, 2012

Daily Water Intake

I drink, on average, 5-6 liters of water a day. Several times I've been told by people that I am at risk for 'water toxicity'. Of course, I know I'm not (I still feel dehydrated even with all my water intake) and I found this interesting site.

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day. You are less likely to suffer from water intoxication, if you drink it over the entire day's time as opposed to drinking a huge volume at one time. Most adults need about 3 quarts of fluid each day and a lot of that water will come from food. The typical recommendation is 8 - 12 eight ounce glasses of water a day. More water will probably be necessary for your body if you live where the weather is hot or very dry. Also if you are exercising or if you are taking certain medications you may need more water than what is typical. It is certainly possible to drink too much water and suffer from water intoxication although it is a very uncommon condition.  ~Dr Standly . com
Other sites of interest: Mayo Clinic


No comments: